Online class interaction 3, guest presenter

Wednesday's class was very interesting.  Our guest presenter discussed how uses cellphones in his class.  I thought it was interesting to learn that while some of us are  still thinking about incorporating or infusing cellphone technology use in their classes, some teachers have already started the process.  I think using cellphones can be very cost effective for students and convenient for teachers, because in most cases students have cellphones that have internet access, and frequently, they use their cellphones for social networking sites such as facebook and twitter.  Such networks can be put to good use such learning and classroom discussions. The speaker also talked about the use of E-books which are usually cheaper than paper books.  He said the books they buy usually expire after 6 years.

Secondly, we learned about MOOS from Karen's presentation.  I would have love to really experience MOOS in details but I was unable to do that since I could not follow in more details what she wanted us to do. I hope to probably make a follow-up with my class mates to clarify some of the things I struggled to understand.  However, the presentation was good since it involved some bits of programming since we used punctuation marks before we could say or do anything.  Generally, the class went well and I hope to learn more from  and I hope to use all that i learned in my future teaching experience.

Comments

  1. The punctuation marks in the MOO can be troublesome. If students don't do them exactly, they get the message "I didn't understand your message." I think Xu mentioned getting that message a lot! However, once they get used to the commands, I think MOOs could be very enjoyable for students, especially if their instructor gave them a very clear task. Otherwise, they might just wander around in the space. Karen's questions were helpful in that regard because they helped us to focus in on finding specific information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had trouble following my instructions, Dira. I hope you were able to watch my Jing video and then go back to the website to try again. I'm glad you mentioned that you did have trouble, because that makes me think how I could improve on teaching it to a real class of students. Did you think I should have gone over the steps more slowly? Actually, one thing I didn't realize when I was planning this presentation was that I would still be able to talk to all of you when we "left" the chat to go to SchMOOze, because we didn't actually exit the chat, but just opened another window. So, I could have had us just go through the steps one by one in unison, with me talking us through them and you all asking questions by voice, instead of giving them to you on that handout. Do you think that would have worked better for you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Computers is a challenge for South African high school students!

Identifying barriers to learn is key!